What is Hepatitis B?, Prevention, Treatment – Agrawal Gastrocare Center Indore
Hepatitis B is a serious infection in the liver caused by the hepatitis B virus (HBV). In some cases, Hepatitis B infection becomes chronic, it lasts for more than six months.
Hepatitis B is transmitted through direct contact with infected blood or certain body fluids. Hepatitis B is a “silent epidemic” because most people do not experience any symptoms when they are newly infected or chronically infected.
It can be directly infected from a pregnant woman to her baby. Heavy alcohol use, toxins, and some medication all can cause Hepatitis B.
Prevention of Hepatitis B
Prevention is taken in many ways. Some of the ways are mentioned below: –
- Testing and Vaccination:
- The vaccine for Hepatitis B offers excellent protection against HBV. The vaccine is safe and highly beneficial. It consists of 3 doses of vaccine over the course of 6 months.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that all children should be vaccinated starting at birth.
- Get a simple HBV blood test which will determine whether you are immune to Hepatitis B, susceptible to Hepatitis B, infected with Hepatitis B
2. Healthy Habits:
- The best way to prevent Hepatitis B is by vaccination. Some of the other ways to reduce your risk of getting Hepatitis B.
- You should not inject drugs. If you do then stop and get a treatment program. Never share needles, water, or syringes.
- Do not use share personal care items that might have blood on them like razors, or toothbrushes.
- If you are thinking about tattooing then make sure the needle is new or properly sterilized.
Treatment of Hepatitis B
If you think that you are experiencing some of the symptoms of Hepatitis B then go to your doctor as soon as possible. The earlier you get the treatment, the better.
The doctor will give you a vaccine of Hepatitis B immune globulin. This protein boosts your immune system and helps it fight off the infection.
They may prescribe you some of these medications to treat it:
- Adefovir Dipivoxil: This drug, which you take as a tablet, works well for some people but high doses can cause kidney problems.
- Entecavir: This is taken once a day with few side effects. It is a front-line treatment.
- Interferon alfa: This medicine boosts your immune system but it doesn’t cure the disease only treats liver inflammation.