Vomiting blood is also known as hematemesis. It is a serious health condition in which from mouth blood is expelled. The blood’s color might be red or of coffee color. Conditions that are making a person vomit blood might also lead to blood in the stool.
Causes of hematemesis
When a person vomits blood it comes from the gastrointestinal tract. The source of blood vomiting can also be pancreatic issues. moving food in your throat
Some causes of hematemesis which requires immediate treatment are:
- Excessive vomiting might lead to tearing in the esophagus lining.
- Swelling in veins of the esophagus lower part and stomach. People having liver damage usually experience it.
- Bleeding in stomach.
- Beginning of formation of a cancerous tumor in the stomach.
- A serious injury in the abdominal area because of some accident.
- Consumption of aspirin or medicine which are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory.
Vomiting blood treatment
If a patient is experiencing vomiting blood then first a specialist will try to control breathing problems, blood pressure, or any other complication which might have arisen because of excessive vomiting.
For controlling blood pressure and acid level in the stomach medicines, a blood transfusion might be given.
If required IV fluids are given through veins and also surgery is performed depending upon the condition.
As the condition of a patient gets under control specialist proceeds to identify the causes of vomiting blood.
Tests which are performed are:
- Blood tests for blood count, examination of clotting function, and blood chemistry
- Test for checking the liver function
- EGD: esophagogastroduodenoscopy for locating the sources of bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract.
- A tube is inserted from nose to stomach to see what are the causes of blood loss.
Once it is identified what is causing vomiting blood, our specialist looks for the best treatment plan which will help in curing the disease and also the underlying conditions which have caused vomiting blood.
When you should go to the doctor?
If you are experiencing any of the following you must book an appointment with the doctor.
- Very frequent vomiting blood
- When there is abdominal pain and symptoms began to get worse
- Breathing issues, dizziness
- Weakness, weight loss, blood loss
- Restlessness, anxious feeling, fast heartbeat