What is FibroScan?
It is a non-invasive device that helps in measuring liver fibrosis or scarring which is caused by different types of diseases associated with the liver. Just like ultrasound examination, Fibroscan testing also is fast and pain-free. Fibroscan gives a non-surgical alternative to the traditional methods like a liver biopsy to examine the liver damage.
Under the following chronic liver conditions your physician might ask you to go for Fibroscan:
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Autoimmune Hepatitis
- Alcoholic liver diseases, Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis
Why is FibroScan done?
The test helps in determining the health of your liver and tells about the stage of liver diseases you are having. Fibroscan tells about the liver stiffness which indicates if scarring is present. With this test, the extent of the scarring is also learned.
Scarring of the liver in the initial level is known as fibrosis. As the stage grows, severe scarring is known as cirrhosis. It can be said that Fibroscan is like a fibrosis scan that helps in scarring measurement for diagnosis purposes and to know the extent of liver disease.
How to prepare yourself for FibroScan?
The process is simple and hence its preparation does not involve complexity. Before the test you will be asked to fast at least 3 hours before or only liquid will be allowed. Your clothes should be comfortable and loose so that the examiner can reposition them easily while examining the upper abdomen area. Before the test began you might be asked to relax for a while as at the time of test your body must be at rest.
What expectations to keep when you are going for the FibroScan?
- The procedure does not demand sedation. After the test, you can safely drive yourself back home.
- It is advisable to wear loose-fitting clothes. You will be lying down on your back and the area of your right abdominal will be exposed.
- On your skin, a water-based gel will be applied, and then over your liver medical provider will place a non-invasive probe.
- While the test will be performed you may feel certain vibrations on your skin because of the probe as it passes on ultrasound waves for the measurement.