World Liver Day 2022 – Liver Awareness Month – Agrawal Gastrocare Center Indore
With the aim to increase awareness about healthy liver and draw attention to liver-related diseases, World Liver Day every year on 19 April. The liver is the second largest body part (only after the skin) and also the second most complex organ in the body (after the brain). Any issue with your liver can affect the normal functioning of the body and create serious health problems. It is therefore necessary that we take good care of our liver so that we never have to face deadly diseases like hepatitis, liver cirrhosis, cancer, etc. To make people more aware of the health and disease related to the liver, World Liver Day is celebrated all across the world.
Functions of liver
Functions of the liver are related to immunity, digestion, metabolism, storage of absorbed nutrients, excretion, and others performed by the liver only. Some of the major functions of the liver are as follows:
- It releases bile, a fluid that helps in digestion by breaking down fats
- Regulating blood clotting is another important task performed by the liver.
- It helps clear the blood of drugs and other poisonous substances
- The liver resists infections by removing bacteria from the bloodstream
- It produces cholesterol and special proteins to help carry fats through the body.
Hepatitis- A Liver Inflammation
Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver that is very common in people and can cause serious damage to the liver and the whole body. There are mainly five types of Hepatitis depending on the virus that infects it- A, B, C, D, and E. Mention of Hepatitis forms an integral part when we talk about World Live Day as most of the time it is Hepatitis that affects our liver the most. In this regard, World Hepatitis Day is also observed separately on July 28 every year.
Take Care of the liver on World Liver Day 2022
The liver performs many functions in the human body and plays a key role in the body’s digestive system. Liver disease does not show very obvious symptoms until the damage is serious. Common symptoms like loss of appetite and weight loss can be seen if the disease has spread to a large part of the organ. It is therefore important to take care of the liver. Some tips are given to keep your liver healthy and happy.
- Eating a balanced diet is the first and foremost way of taking care of your liver and your body. Your diet must include cereal, fresh fruits, fiber-rich vegetables, bread, and rice
- Make sure that you drink plenty of water as keeping your body hydrated can help with your liver too
- It is important that you maintain a healthy weight as an increase in weight can lead to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Drinking too much alcohol can damage and ultimately destroy liver cells. It is therefore advisable to drink alcohol only in moderation and if possible, abdicate it completely.
- Smoking can also affect your liver adversely by enhancing the toxic effects that some medications have on the liver. Try to steer clear of cigarettes.
- Similarly, one should avoid taking drugs like pain relievers, stimulants, sedatives, etc without taking a prescription from a doctor.
Liver Cleansing Tips
There are some foods that can cleanse your liver and keep it functioning as new. These are basic items that can be included in your day-to-day diet.
- Use olive oil for making food
- Include garlic and turmeric in your food
- Fruits like grapefruit, apple, walnuts, etc should be included in your diet.
- Intake lemon and lime juice.
- Add leafy vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, etc to your diet.